Since the holiday is still on going, we would like to wish you "Happy Holiday". Spend your holidays wisely people :D Here what i did during this holiday. if you would like to try it, go ahead. worth to try. plus with your families!
Chocolate Mille Crepe with Vanilla Cream
The word mille crepe means "a thousand crepes" and it came from France. the process is similar to the typical crepe except that they're being layered with fillings. In Malaysia, there are two cafes that are famour for its mille crepe; Food Foundry which is in section 17 Petaling Jaya and Nadeje Cafe in Melaka. For those who would like to try at home, here's the recipe:
Adapted from Homemade Scratch Baking and Cookpad.
Chocolate Mille Crepe:
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-sized pieces
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder (or you could use cocoa powder)
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk at room temperature
- 6 extra large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 200 ml whipping cream
- 450 ml fresh milk
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 85 gm castor sugar
- 4 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
For the crepes
1. In a pan, bring the water to boil over medium-high heat. Add the butter one by one, and at the same time whisk the mixture until the butter melt. Remove from the heat, add the chopped chocolate. Stir it completely into smooth mixture. Put aside.
2. In another bowl (A), whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and cocoa powder. In another bowl (B), whisk the milk, eggs and vanilla.
3. Then, pour in bowl (A) into bowl (B). Whisk until smooth. If you find any lumps, discard it by using the fine-mesh sieve. Keep it in air-tight container and store in the refrigerator for a night.
4. After that, heat up the pan. Coat the pan with butter and cook the mixture.
5. Leave the crepes to be cooled.
For the fillings,
1. Boiled up the fresh milk.
2. Remove from the heat. Put in the flour and corn starch. Whisk it well until it become smooth. Remove the lump if you found any.
3. Mix up the egg yolk and vanilla essence and whisk. Then, heat up the mixture until it popped up.
4. Remove from heat. Put in the butter, salt and vanilla essence. Mix it well until it become smooth.
5. In another bowl, beat up well the whipping cream until it become sturdy.
6. Mix together the custard mixture together with whipping cream.
Lastly, fill the filling at each layer of the crepe.
you could eat it with chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream.
Butter Cream Chicken (adapted from Jamiecooksitup.net)
- Fried chicken
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of milk and 2 tablespoon of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried herbs
- 2 tablespoon of cornstrach
- salt and pepper
1. Heat up the pan. Put in the butter with chicken broth. Stir it well.
2. Pour in the 1 cup of milk. Bring it to boil.
3. In another bowl, mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoon of milk.
4. Pour in the mixture into the boiling mixture.
5. Put in the herbs and pinch of salt and pepper.
6. Pour onto the fried chicken.
This butter cream can also be serve with dory fish or even prawn.
Good Luck! :D